Just a hello

Just another day of fur, food, yarn and gardening, just maybe not in that order.

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Blueberry buttermilk tea cake

  One of my favorite things to bake is easy loaf cakes, or tea cakes, or coffee cakes, whatever you wish to call them.  They are usually very simple, no fuss, no muss type recipe.  Ok, maybe a little on the "muss" side, I'm a terror when flour is involved. 
  I think why I like making them the most though is they remind me of my Grandma Clara Klabunde.  She always had a coffee cake around and each afternoon incase anyone dropped by.  Anyways, back to my subject at hand, so here's one of my favorites and the only reason I ever keep buttermilk in the fridge.

From the Joy of Baking:

Blueberry buttermilk tea cake

Butter and flour one large loaf pan
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c. fresh blueberries, picked over
8 TBLS/1 stick butter at room temp, cut into pieces
1 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c. buttermilk
confectioners sugar for sprinkling-optional

1. set over to 350 degrees. Butter 9x5 loaf pan, dust with flour tapping out excess.

2.  In bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to blend.

3.  In another bowl, toss blueberries with 1 tsp of the above flour mixture
4.  In mixer at medium speed, beat butter for 2 minutes, adding sugar in 2 increments, beating 1 minute between each half.  Blend in eggs one at a time followed by vanilla.

5.  With the mixer set on low, beat in half of flour mixture, then buttermilk, followed by remaining flour mix.      Scrape down sides of bowl as it mixes.

6.  Removed from mixer and fold in blueberries by hand making sure to mix in any excess flour that may remain.

7.  Spoon batter into loaf pan, mounding slightly in center.  Bake for 55-60 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean from center.


I may add too that it's a great gift cake and wraps up well.  I wouldn't suggest trying to double the recipe as the mixer is pretty full from just the one recipe.  Also goes down well with espresso!

No comments:

Post a Comment