Just a hello

Just another day of fur, food, yarn and gardening, just maybe not in that order.

Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

World Wide Knit in Public Day June 12th, 2010

I had on my mind that I wasn't going to miss out on the World Wide Knit in Public Day this year.  I had contacted some other fellow knitters after Nancy, who owns Renaissance Yarns posted it on Facebook.  I was the only knitter from my group but I decided I was going to take part anyways. The purpose was of course to get as many people in the world knitting at the same time.  I saw postings from Poland, from France and from all around the US.   I know it's not contributing to world peace, or to cleaning up the environment, but I still wanted to take part for the fun of it.

So I got up early and onto the road planning on being there a maximum of 2 hours. I thought, heck, that's enough. The sun was shining, the temperature comfortable, I was caffinated and ready to go. I ended up having such a good time, I was there over that and then had to speed home to get ready for work. The Kent Station was buzzing, there were 4 graduations going on at the Showare Center and a Health and Wellness Fair at the Kent Station also and they were preparing for the screening calls for the tv show, The Bachelor., yes, I know, all in Kent, who knew?

The people from the community that were knitting had so many different projects to knit it was incredible. The young girl with the long dark hair you see in the stripped tank top was to be married next Saturday and had knitted her whole bouquet of Calla Lilly and then had felted them.  She had also crocheted garters for all the brides maids.  She works at Renaissance or has in the past, she's a really creative and talented knitter.  I wished I'd written down her blog. A lot of the ladies were working on lace, I for one, am not into it, I'm too easily distracted then there goes the whole project.

There were spinners there too, although this was a knitting event, but heck, who am I to tell them they're out on the wrong day eh? I have been a spinner too now for a while, and so it's kind of neat to see others doing it too and what there fibers look like and find out the skinny on where to get the best deals.

This lady was there knitting while her toddler was playing in the circle of all of our chairs.  He played nicely the whole time, he must be an awfully good little boy to let his mom work on lace and not mess it up.

This is one of the gentleman who teaches classes at Renaissance, he was a hoot.  He was knitting animals that were made just like balloon animals.  All in a bit long string of links that you twist into animals.  He had several that he shared with us all.  Fun, but not my cup of tea. He is also a sock knitter that has created a contraption I'd call it, to knit 7 pairs of socks at once, why?  I'm unsure, but like I said, who am I to question.

There were hourly drawing for beautiful yarn, kits, and notions.  That's Nancy, the owner of Renaissance.
And these were my projects I had taken along to work on, socks, socks, socks.

I had such a fun time, I really wished I'd been able to stay the entire day.  I hope to take part next year and bring along a few of my knitting friends, and maybe not just plain vanilla socks as my project.

1 comment:

  1. I had such a good time reading this post. What a fun event. Beautiful day, interesting people and creative projects -- not a bad afternoon if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete